Thursday, November 17, 2016

Looking to the Future!

On November 8, 2016, our district held elections for the Board of Trustees. I would like to welcome our new members: Patrick McGill, Kevin Wright, Brian Degner, and Brad Nixon. I look forward to working with these new members as we move our district into the future.

With the election of new Board members, we have to salute the service of the outgoing members. I know that you share my gratitude for the years of service that these men have given our school. Please join me in thanking them for giving their time and energy in an often thankless job. The outgoing members are: Charlie Mangham, Paul Wilson, Randy Pilkinton, and Rickey Newman. Under their leadership the district has gained a wonderful reputation with high performance in academic achievement and financial stability. There are many people in our area who would like their children to be able to attend Harleton ISD. I think that speaks volumes for the quality of the education provided here.

As we look to the future, I remind everyone that the state legislature will begin its biennial session in January 2017. I would encourage each of you to contact your representatives and let them know that you are concerned with the flaws in the school finance system of the state. In a previous blog entry I described how Harleton ISD compares to wealthier districts in terms of revenue per student or classroom. Compared to districts in the top 50% of wealth, Harleton ISD receives $33,000 per classroom LESS. This is also while taxing at a higher rate. Let your representatives know that you're not asking for more you just want Equal Revenues for Equal Tax Effort.

The Holidays will soon be upon us, and I hope that you all get to spend time with friends and loved ones. We have much for which to be thankful!

I thank you for allowing us to be a part of your children's lives. Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment